This topic is intended to discuss USB midi controllers and their compatibility with Axoloti.
Please post here if you use a controller that works and is not listed here, and we will keep this post up to date.
if you find a controller that does NOT work, then please read this topic, and then raise a separate topic in this hardware category, so we can discuss the issue, and look for a resolution. please do not start a conversation here.
USB Midi Device vs USB Midi Host
Most hardware are either a midi device or a midi host, but Axoloti can be both, so its important to be clear on the distinction.
When using midi over USB, a piece of hardware takes on the role of either a host or a device for a single wired connection.
USB Midi Host <------> USB Midi Device
Obviously a 'dumb' midi controller (e.g. keyboard) is a USB midi device, this means when you connect it it needs to connect to something that can 'host' it. This might be a computer, or it might be a synth.
A computer is (generally) a USB midi host, since you connect midi controllers to it i.e. it hosts theses controllers.
Often USB midi hosts can host many USB midi devices at the same time, but generally a USB midi device is connected to one host
Axoloti , like some synths, can be both, if you connect via the micro usb port (the one you use to connect to a computer), it acts as usb midi device. if you connect it to something (e.g. a midi keyboard) via the full size usb port, then it will host other usb midi devices.
Computer (host) < -----> (device) Axoloti (host) <-------> (device) usb keyboard
It should be noted, generally both hosts and devices can send and receive data.
Axoloti acting as a USB Midi Device
If you connect to the Axoloti micro usb port, Axoloti presents itself as a class compliant midi device, and should be accessible on all class compliant hosts.
Capabilities: class compliant usb device, receiving note, pitchbend, pressure and cc data.
Current limitations: Data can only be sent from host (e.g. computer) to axoloti, not from axoloti to host:
Current tested hosts:
- Mac OSX
- Linux (PC/VmWare/Raspberry PI 2)
- Axoloti Core
- iOS (v8.3 (4s), v5 (iPad1), iPad 2) can be powered from iOS device
Axoloti providing USB Midi Hosting
If you connect a USB midi device into the Axoloti's full size USB port, Axoloti will act as a USB Midi host
Capabilities: host for class compliant midi devices, can send and receive note, pitchbend, pressure and cc data.
Current limitations: No support for connecting via hubs, no sysex input support, sysex output only via api call.
Bus power: must not exceed 500mA
(if you have issues with a device when using bus power, if the device permits, try using external power)
Disclaimer: Following is only indicative, not implying any warranty, and may alter with firmware upgrades etc.
USB Midi class compliant devices
(reported as working by users)
- Ableton Push (v1 only)
- Akai LPD8, MPD 24, MPD 26, LPK 25, MPK mini, MPK mini mk2, APC mini,Midimix
- Alesis IODock 1, v25,QX49
- Arturia Beatstep, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Mini Lab, MicroBrute
- Axoloti Core i.e. 1 Axoloti Core board hosting another
- Behringer UMX610, BCR-2000, X-Touch Min
- Casio GZ-5
- C-Thru Music Axis-49
- CME XKey Air 25
- Dave Smith Intruments Tetra
- DJ TechTools Midi Fighter Twister
- ESI MIDIMATE II
- Evolution UC33
- Emu Xboard 25
- Elektron Analog Four
- Keith McMillen Softstep (v1), QuNexus, QuNeo, K-Board
- Korg NanoKontrol 2, nanoPAD2, nanoKey, electribe2
- Livid Brain Jr.
- Nektar Panorama P6
- M-Audio Axiom 61, Keystation Mini 32, Axiom 49 (2nd gen), M-audio Oxygen 49 Mk III, M-Audio Trigger Finger (non-Pro version), KeyRig 49
- MidiBox SEQ V4
- Mutable instruments CVPal
- Novation Launch Control XL, Launchkey Mini mk2, Launchpad Pro
- Novation Circuit
- Roland A-800PRO [advanced midi mode must be off], UM-ONE mk2 [switch must be on 'tab']
- Samson carbon 49
- Soulsby Synthesizers miniAtmegatron
- Teenage Engineering OP1
- Waldorf Streichfett, Blofeld
USB Midi - explicit vendor support
- Access Virus TI (midi i/o to synth, and midi ports - no audio support)
- Behringer UMA25S (has a USB hub hidden inside)
Not working, not MIDI Class compliant
- Novation Nocturn25