Yeah, I've been using a patch bank for switching between patches while using a start.bin patch for the startup patch. I"ve never gotten a patch bank to work on startup without a startup patch, but it's never been a problem because it works as intended that way... all except for the patch changing issue mentioned above.
I decided to go with the gpio/in/digital option using a button that's simultaneously wired to the teensy and the Axoloti. It actually works perfectly. Fortunately, there are a couple unused pins in the back of mine and this part only needs 2.
Maybe you can help me with the part that took me the longest though. Do you happen to know when a controller object is applied to a patch that is uploaded to the SD card for standalone use? I understand that if I go live with a patch in the Axoloti Patcher, the controller object is applied on compilation, but when I upload a patch bank, I use patches that I haven't compiled in the patcher for a while. When is the controller object applied to those?
The reason I ask is because you can test basically anything that you add to the controller object while the patcher is live (like if I added a bunch of potentiometers, you can test them right away by going live), but in order to test patch changes, you have to actually go to standalone mode, because switching patches doesn't work in the patcher software for obvious reasons.
And the problem with all of that is, since I don't know specifically when the controller object is applied to patches in a patch bank, if I'm trying out different methods of patch changing (like different buttons, different methods in increment/decrement, etc.), the only thing that I've found to work is wiping the whole SD card and starting over again from uploading a new patch bank, etc. Anything less than wiping the SD card and starting a new patch bank from scratch usually results in the patches retaining the controller object from the most recent patch bank upload following a full wipe of the card. That process took me all night just because of the number of steps involved.
All's well that ends well though, I'm happy with this gpio/in/digital setup.