The idea behind monthly patching challenge is to have some fun
There are no prizes, but everyone wins, as we get to see great patches, and learn from how others patch.
Even if you don't have a chance to create a patch, please come and vote on patches, and feel free to ask how they work etc.
The challenge theme is announced at the beginning of the month, allowing the whole month to get your patches ready, you can then submit your patches at then end of the month, and then voting commences at the beginning of the following month.
- Challenge is set by previous winner at the beginning of the month
- The challenge post can be used for discussion and clarification during the month
- Patches are not revealed until the submission window opens
- Submission window open for the last 3 days of month (usually), users then can submit patches on that thread.
- On the 1st for the following month the submissions are closed and a poll, is created of all submissions, not further entries will then be accepted, it will remain open for 5 days.
- the winner is then decided, and is then given the opportunity to set the challenge for the following month.
I would hope that the challenger, will also 'run' the challenge for the month, e.g. rule clarification, setup challenge and posts etc.
any issues with running a submitted patch should be reported to the creator of the patch on the discussion thread or by PM.
- patches must run on the current released version of the Axoloti software.
- patches may not included any copyrighted material, please include details of source of material if this is likely to be question.
(this is already in T&C of forum, but a reminder, we don't want legal challenges on axoloti.com)
- samples - there may be some limits imposed on size for technical reasons.
- please include an obvious gain/volume control and set it 'low' initially
(this will not count towards any 'parameter limitations' contain in the challenge)
- you must adhere to the additional restrictions within the challenge
The challenge can include its own criteria for voting, though likely voters will tend to vote for what they like.
The following are hopefully useful things to bare in mind for voters, challengers and patchers alike
- Ease of use - parameters obviously placed, presets ease of 'install'
- Relevancy to the theme
- Sound and Musical goodness
- Patch tidy-ness
Who can enter? anyone who can create a patch for Axoloti, and you need to be registered here, to be able to make the post.
Who can vote? anyone with an Axoloti, as you need to try out the patch
Who sets the theme for the month? the winner of the previous months challenge, except if they set the challenge, in which case it will be the runner up.
What themes are likely? we hope as varied, as axoloti is flexible. so if you dont fancy one month, check back another month it could be very different. Also have a go anyway, you may discover/learn something interesting.
Can I re-use others sub-patches? Sure, but please include a credit within your patch for 'derivative work' unless its change beyond all recognition.
Can I submit more than one patch? Sure. but please keep to only one version of a patch.
(this may be subject to change, if we find the number of entries becomes unwieldy)
Can I update a patch? Yes during the submission window, after than no. if you update please remove the old version, and include a date/time of update, this will allow others to know its changes since they last looked at it e.g. mypatch.axp (Update: 01Jan 20:15CET) . Please bare in mind, voters may not necessarily retry a patch, so better to get it right first time