Now that is more like it: Specific questions!
Most stuff you ask does however still fall into 3 catagories:
- Understanding the functionality of synthesis component in general
- Understaning the Axoloti
- Understanding the CS80 itself.
I have basically given you all the info you need in the previous posts so my best advice would be to revisit post 1 and 18 and (re)do the homework.
As far as your specific questions go though:
Firstly: Just to make sure we talk about exactly the same version. Did you upload the latest version (see the ammendment remark at the end of post 1)
The only thing that seems a little strange is the two banks of filters seem to act for the left or right channel independently, whereas they are labelled as if it's two types of filters? this confused me.<
The CS80 has 2 fully independent channels with a their own oscillator mix. To save processing power ( again: re-read the earlier stuff) I decided on a paraphonic approach AND on feeding one (more flexible!) oscillator mix into both channels.
You are however right about the labeling. That is a bit of residue from my main The Holy Grail project (which see). I'll correct it and place a new version under the downlod link in post 1. Thanks for the remark.
Also mucking around with the filter env's really didn't seem to actually do anything to the filters. Maybe I need to experiment a little more...<
Now let me gues: You cranked the 5th pot in the envelopes fully open. Understand that this is no real CS-type 5 stage envelope. It is a regular ADSR with the 5th pot acting as a reversed depth control. If youy leave pot 5 on zero the ADSR will work full tilt. If you put it on 10 the ADSR will however have NO effect at all. So first put pot 5 on zero and then try again.
Furhtermore the Axoloti filters seem to have quite narrow "'sweet spots". If this was still a real analog one could say they could have chosen thier pots with more care. So do not jank them from one side to the other too much but take your time trying out the inbetween settings.
The ring mod (with the env) sounds awesome, but really mucks with the left/right balance when engaged. <
I actually love that kind of stuff and there are enough level and alternative routing controls to get to a good balance. But you can of course also mix all signals into one single end-mixer.
Any thoughts on how to get the CPU down a little so that a verb or chorus can be added to the end of it? Anything I put in there pushed it to 100%! <
Basic Axoloti 1: Put the instrument on a low polyphony count first, maybe even 1 voice only. Then make the the changes you want to make. Only try how far you can go up with the polyphony count again after you've got the path working. I expect the instrument to still be able to be 8-voice paraphonic after adding an effect. Do however understand that the longer the delay time the effect can provide is (and thus the amount of memory it needs) is the more processor-hungry the module will be. So a chorus needs only a bit of processing power but a reverb will set you back a lot further.
Basic Axoloti 2: Do ALWAYS press the UPDATE button on the subpatch module in the main screen after you change something in the subpatch. Otherwise nothing will actually change!
Gulp! Just sending you another version would have been a lot quiker then explaining all this but this way you will actually learn stuff. So put your hands together for our (equally free) Axoloti / CS80 course.