I started to really experiment with the Daisy seed last week.
The board itself is quite powerful but it has some issues that the Axoloti does not have.
- The most irritating one is a constant 1kHz hiss on the audio output that is related to cyclic MCU digital noise bursts and ground loops. This can be suppressed by using a ground loop isolator (HD400 or clones of HD400).
- On the raw "daisy seed" you have to add your own MIDI input with an optocoupler. As there is no regulated 5V available you have to choose your optocoupler wisely. I opted for the H11L1 as it can operate at 3V3.
The Daisy does not have a single dev environment but many software environments... I'm not sure it is a good idea.
Anyway, i chose the Daisyduino environment so that i can use some Arduino MIDI library.
When I first experimented I had the same performances as the Axoloti even if the Daisy runs at 400MHz (VS 168MHz) !
By searching the daisy forum and asking questions, it appears that cache was disabled for some "past bug reason" and that it was still not re-enabled in the daisyduino environment... thus, i did some mods manually to get it work.
Now I have about 2,5x the cpu power of the axoloti.
About instrumentation and experimentation...the compilation time/upload is very slow compared with the Axoloti. When it runs, the daisy only communicates with the PC through a arduino serial console... you can forget the useful Axoloti's scope and other displays and the real time parameter adjustments.
In brief - put aside the board x2.5 cpu power - the Axoloti is far more advanced, mature and reliable than the Daisy.
But, as i sadly have now visibility on the future of Axoloti and Akso i'm switching - at least for the moment - to the Daisy Seed.