This release may contain showstopper bugs! Only use this if you have the patience to report bugs. To report bugs in this prerelease, reply in this thread! Patches saved in this version may be broken when opened in older versions.
Available at https://github.com/axoloti/axoloti/releases
The runtimes have not changed, no need to re-install that part
A huge thank you to @thetechnobear for his contributions in development and testing. The libraries/git integration is completely his work.
New in this prerelease
Objects and Patches are now organised within "libraries", which can be found in the Preferences dialog, and replace the "Object Search Path". All objects contained within the defined libraries will be shown in the
Object search browser.(Currently patches can be accessed via the normal file open option, the future will bring a unified browser :))
By default there are 3 Libraries
- Factory - the objects/patches that used to be shipped as part of the Axoloti UI
- Local - patches/objects directory held in your Axoloti home directory.
- Community - the new user library.
The factory and community libraries are automatically downloaded when you when you first start the upgraded version of Axoloti, and can then be synchronised using the "Sync Library" option on the File menu. The library concepts also supports users personal libraries, and also backing up to your own private repository. There will be a video which will provide more details, showing this and also the procedure for contributing to the community library.
Notes for upgrades:
- if you have placed any objects/patches within the axoloti application directories, move them before upgrading, they will no longer be accessible, and may be deleted by the upgraded- its recommended the first time you run axoloti that your computer has an internet connection. (However, there is a fallback procedure I will detail if this is not the case)
- do NOT change anything within the axolotl-factory directories, or outside of your assigned directory in the community library (more details in following video on "contributions").
Patch banks are a collection of patches. Patch bank files have the .axb file extension. A patch bank file can be uploaded to sdcard, where it will live with the filename "index.axb". Patches in the "index.axb" file can
be loaded with the "patch/load i" object. One typical use case of a patch bank is loading patches via a midi program change. Connecting a program change to a patch load requires this mechanism to be present in
the active patch. This can be managed globally through a controller object (in preferences).
Patches can be uploaded to sdcard from the patch bank editor. Every patch will be uploaded to a directory with the name of the patch to file with the filename "patch.bin".
Managing dependent files
If you wanted to play a sample or load a sample into a table, you had to write the sample to the sdcard manually.
This is automated now, if, for instance, a "table/alloc 16b sdram load" now references a file on your local (pc) file system. If absent (or the size or timestamp does not match) in the target directory (with the name of
the patch), it will get uploaded automatically for you. This makes it easier to share patches that rely on files on sdcard.
Improved object editor
You can now manipulate inlets, outlets, parameters etc interactively.
Similar as a "patch/patcher" object embeds a subpatch in a patch document, the new "patch/object" embeds a custom object in a patch document.
The filemanager now lists subdirectories, long filename is now supported but only western characters.
Improved error reporting
- attempting to open a non-existent file on sdcard, telling the path and filename attempted to access.
- loading a patch with non-matching firmware identifier
- more available time (10 seconds) for patch initialization (caused disconnect when starting a patch that loads large files at startup)
- multiple modulation targets on one source was broken
- issue when for example removing a parameter that was set "on-parent" in a subpatch
- application startup failed when the preferences file was corrupt
Detailed development log can be found here
File->Quit does not work, close the log window instead.